Sunday, April 8, 2007

Christmas in April.

J. just said that it feels like Christmas today, and I was thinking the same thing. It's a Jesus holiday, and it's cold as hell outside. Well, it's warming up -- now it's about 45 degrees. I took the wrapping off the tomatoes and the Meyer lemon.

I got a craving for scones this morning, so after I read the paper I made cheddar and scallion scones (with the scallions from the CSA farm). I also put a chopped jalapeƱo in them. J. suggested they'd be good with poached eggs, so when the scones came out of the oven I put on water for poaching. But then I decided what would be really good would be some roasted potatoes. So I cut up some red potatoes and tossed them in olive oil and salt and pepper and garlic and they're in the oven roasting now.

Cold outside, stuff in the oven = Christmas. Plus, for breakfast we had sweet potato pie. I think that's what really made it feel like a winter holiday.

Yesterday when we went to the Longbranch for banana pudding, the woman behind the counter said, "Do you like sweet potato pie?" The question didn't even register with either of us for a moment. Is that a question that has more than one possible answer? With our banana pudding, she threw in half a sweet potato pie for free! The edges of the crust were a little too brown, so I guess she couldn't sell it.

No comments: