Friday, May 18, 2007

Beans.

We have the most beautiful green beans, ever. The vines are in the narrow bed across the front of the porch, and they shade that half of the porch in the afternoon. I've been picking 6 or 8 of them a day for the last week. The more I pick, the more they grow. I used what I had accumulated in a green curry I made a few days ago, along with snap peas, turnips and rutabagas from Johnson's Farm. I also used one Thai chile (still green, but I couldn't wait) from our garden in the curry.

The snap peas, next to them, were killed off by powdery mildew, and I pulled them down a few days ago, so I think next year, since they did so well, we could plant green beans across the whole front porch.

The jalapeno plants are full of little fruit, and the poblanos have several fruit on them too. And there's one little green tomato so far.

I spent 10 hours today sitting with a friend of J.'s who has been dealing with leukemia and a bone marrow transplant for the last couple of years. Now he has some complications from the transplant, so he's been very weak and in and out of the hospital for the last week or so. He's home now, but needs someone with him most of the time.

I didn't do much all day but sit and read when he was asleep and sit and chat when he was awake, but I was exhausted when I left. When I got home, I drank a beer on the porch and then made myself a delicious omelet with some of the climbing spinach leaves, cheddar and garlic.

No comments: