Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Food.

That salad I made on Sunday was so good, I decided to make it again.

I sort of steam-roasted the potatoes -- is there a word for that? I cut them into chunks, tossed them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and a few whole, unpeeled garlic cloves, then put them in a square metal pan covered tightly with foil into a 400-degree oven for about half an hour, until they were tender. When they're cool, I'll toss them with green beans (all of them from our garden this time) which I blanched and shocked, arugula, minced spring onions, and a red wine vinaigrette with a little mustard.

Also today, I made the New York Times no-knead bread again. It was tasty last time, but I think too dense. This time it looks a little nicer, but still not as big as it should be. Coincidentally, it's been humid on both days I've made the bread, so maybe that's why. It's an extremely wet dough, hard to handle, and last time I think I deflated it when I was throwing it around trying to get it into the pan.

As I was prepping things for the salad, I thought it would be nice to heat up some of the marinara sauce I made yesterday, to dip the bread into, alongside the salad. But I got a little carried away, considering J. is on his way out for the evening, and I'm not really hungry for a big meal tonight since I had a late lunch. It'll all keep till tomorrow, or later tonight if we get hungry.

No comments: