Monday, May 11, 2009

But Then Again, Aren't We All.

A music journalist in New York who was a great fan and booster of Y'all once wrote something to the effect that Y'all deserved all the attention that Hedwig and the Angry Inch was getting. At the time, it felt great to read that because Hedwig was certainly getting a lot of attention. It wasn't like a rivalry or anything -- we were just usually too busy with our own career to notice much of the other great stuff that was happening in New York.

When people described Hedwig to me, it always sounded stupid, so I never got too interested. (That cracks me up to read what I just wrote -- how many times did people say that exact same thing about Y'all?) My mistake.

When I was in San Francisco doing the final edit of Life in a Box, I rented the movie, and I must have watched it about 20 times. Literally 20 times. I couldn't stop. I think there are a couple missteps in the film, but all in all it's probably my favorite movie from the last several years. I love anything that makes me laugh and cry hard, usually at the same time. John Cameron Mitchell's performance blows me away every time. I think this is my favorite scene:

No comments: