Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Digital Age.

There are so many ways in which the Internet has improved the lives of students and educators; I'm sure I don't need to list them here. But there are also some drawbacks. UT has a system called Blackboard that is set up to make it easy for teachers and students to communicate in myriad ways. It's full of amazing, powerful tools. But at least 2 or 3 times a week, I get emails like this:
Hi everyone,

Sorry to do this, but I was wondering if someone who types their notes could send me what notes they take in tomorrow's (Monday July 27) lecture. My air conditioner has gone out and I'm going to have to meet someone back at my apartment tomorrow morning so they can fix it, and I doubt they'll be done by the time class starts. I'll be happy to return the favor if you don't mind.

Thanks so much,
[hapless college student]
I really have to summon up superhuman resistance to keep myself from replying, "Lamest excuse ever. Did you ever think of having the a/c person come AFTER class?" I mean, c'mon. I even typed up that exact reply just now, but caught myself just before hitting send. I mean, I'm not exactly the most credible person to be giving lessons in how to grow up and manage life as an adult, am I? (And, to be honest, I should be the first to excuse any sort of behavior, no matter how immature or irrational, brought about by a broken air-conditioner.)

No comments: