Sunday, July 4, 2010

School.

I think I’m going to apply to NYU’s graduate film program. I think I’m gonna do it. The application deadline is December 1, to start in the fall of 2011. I just need to forget about the age thing. What does it matter if I’m in graduate school in my 50s? Really, what does it matter? I was reading on the admissions web site of the MFA program a statement by the chairman of the department describing the program and what kind of candidates they look for, what kind of people succeed in the program, and I felt like he was describing me.

So why the fuck not? Why not apply? It’s extremely competitive, but what isn’t? If anyone can think of a reason why I shouldn’t, please tell me.

2 comments:

xoxoxo said...

My cousin, who passed away last month at the ripe old age of 55, enrolled at George Mason in VA at the age of 50 to finally finish her bachelor's, and it was one of the best experiences of her life. She was serious and knew what she wanted to study (herbal plant science) and had a great experience - both with the other "kids" in the program and especially the teachers, who loved teaching someone who really knew what she was interested in. She graduated at the head of her class too, BTW.

Stop looking for "nos' and go for the "yes." I think it's a great idea. And when you want to come to FL to collaborate on something, let me know and I'll dig up some of my tabled film ideas ; )

Kirk said...

You totally should dude. As I should enroll in UW-Milwaukee's graduate Africology program. Age? Pfft.