Thursday, September 5, 2013

I'm Gonna Be Strong.

One of the women who auditioned for our Houston production of LIZZIE yesterday sang this song, which I hadn't thought of in a long time but for a while years ago I was obsessed with: I'm Gonna Be Strong (by Weil/Mann). I knew it from this Buddy Miller version on his great record Cruel Moon (that's the incredible Joy White on the duet vocal). With its Brill Building history I should have known there'd be an earlier hit version but somehow this one satisfied me enough that I didn't investigate.


I think the arrangement she sang in the audition was this one. Check out Cyndi Lauper, so young, and already blowing my mind:


And Jackie DeShannon? How did I not know about this song?


Here's the original by Gene Pitney. Pretty great:


I think I still like the Buddy Miller/Joy White version best.