Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Times, They Are, etc.

I'm suffering with a bit of whiplash this week. After a few years of having my life to myself, I've been wrenched back into the real world. Willingly.

On Friday I fly to New York where I'll spend two days with my friend and collaborator Tim preparing for a week-long retreat in the Berkshires where we will re-write and expand our Lizzie Borden musical. It's been 13 years since we visited this piece, and just as long since Tim and I have worked together, so there's some inertia to overcome. And I suppose it's been that long, too, since I have done work that hasn't been self-generated.

I've been reading books about Lizzie for the last couple weeks and making notes. There are a lot of books. This is the stuff I live for. Every time I do theater work, I remember that it is what I always wanted to do, from as far back as I can remember.

When I get back from the retreat, I'll have about a week before school starts.

I canceled my subscription to the Austin American-Statesman today, reluctantly. I will miss the minutia of local politics. Not only do I enjoy that stuff, I believe that it's my duty as a responsible citizen to know it. I mean that. But I will have to find other ways to stay informed. The daily paper takes me at least an hour to read, and I can't see that I will have an hour every morning to read the paper once I start school. Especially since I plan to take an 8 a.m. Spanish class 4 days a week.

And I applied for a part-time cooking job at a neighborhood cafe. I hope they'll hire me to cook on Saturday and Sunday, so I can pay my credit card bills. My financial aid should cover everything but.

No comments: