Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Jesus Is Magic.

I watched the Sara Silverman film, Jesus is Magic, tonight, because it's one of those movies everyone screams at you that you HAVE to watch it because it's SO GREAT, but all the screaming just makes you avoid it. I finally relented on this one.

She's very funny. A couple jokes made me laugh out loud. But after a while it was kind of the same joke over and over, and it got exhausting. The DVD also contained her scene from The Aristocrats, so I watched that too, and I didn't think it was funny at all. Her scene, I mean. I'm still avoiding the movie.

I don't want to be dismissive. I want to say that I appreciate what she does, but somehow that sounds mean. I'm sincere, though. At her best, she makes us see how ridiculous our racism is by making us laugh at it. She's working with really tricky subject matter, and she seems fearless.

No comments: