Monday, June 4, 2007

Gecko.

There's a lizard just outside my bedroom window. I think he must live nearby, because I see him frequently, always at night. I'll look up and there he'll be, stuck to the middle of the windowpane, waiting for who knows what. I don't know if he's aware that his glass-bottom boat is actually a window.

A few minutes ago, I was reading, sitting in a chair next to the window, and I stood up to go to the bathroom. The thought popped into my head, "I wonder if that lizard is still around," because I hadn't seen him in a few weeks. I looked out the window, which just then was about 6 inches from my nose, and he was peering around the edge of the window frame. Looking right at me. "Yeah, I'm still here. What do you want?" It was spooky and hilarious.

I thought I should move him out to the garden, so he can work on controlling the insect infestation. But then I realized that his little hangout is very near the spot where I've been relocating the big black bugs. He must think I'm bringing him takeout breakfast every morning when I show up with my plastic bag of bugs.

The picture isn't him, but he looks just like that.

No comments: