Thursday, June 7, 2007

Summer.

Summer snuck in behind all those storms last week. I know because I walked to the post office today and by the time I got there my shirt was completely soaked. And the office building that the post office is in was air conditioned like a walk-in fridge. I'm not complaining, in fact, I lingered in the lobby for several minutes, got out my book and read for a while, it felt so good.

Hot weather makes me cranky. It makes me feel anxious and desperate. It makes me mad. (My friend M has the same response to the smell of fish.) But I live in Texas now, so I'm trying to make peace with it. It doesn't help that, when I bring it up to people who live here, they say, "You think this is hot?" It's not unbearable. It's barely poking up into the 90s the last few days. But knowing that from here on in it's only going to get worse, with no break until mid-October...

I don't want to turn on the air conditioner until I absolutely can't stand it any more, because once it's on it'll be hard to turn off. We have window units in our bedrooms, but nothing in the living room, kitchen, or bathroom. I was thinking I would try to live without it until it gets over 100. The forecast says 99 tomorrow.

No comments: