Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sisters.

We saw a remake of Sisters, a 1973 Brian DePalma film, last night. The original starred Margot Kidder and, though I saw it probably 25 years ago late at night on TV, it was so creepy that images from it still make me shudder. The remake was pretty creepy too, with Chloe Sevigny.

A trio of chatty girls sat near us. They weren't enjoying the film and wanted everyone around them to know it. Actually, they were enjoying laughing at it. Not that the movie was not funny at times. The tone was somewhere in that disorienting world where campy parody and reverence meet, sometimes seeming to spoof bad 70s psychological horror movies (children's voices la-la-la-ing a minor key nursery rhyme) and other times actually being that bad movie. Anyway, I knew these girls weren't getting it and I didn't want them to ruin it for me. I shushed them about halfway through, which worked until the end credits started and then they let loose. "Somebody must have thought this was a good idea!"

I like seeing a movie with a crowd. It intensifies the emotional ride. But the risk is high. I don't like seeing a movie with a dumb crowd.

No comments: