Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy Ending.

I realized that I forgot to post the final chapter in the story of losing $40 at Whole Foods. (It's not "Who Shot JR?" but hopefully someone will find it mildly interesting.)

Not that I tie up every loose end here, or even try, but Whole Foods needs the good press. It's endlessly complex isn't it, the American sport of building up and tearing down successful people? There's plenty to find fault with at Whole Foods, but I mean, please, John Mackay has almost single-handedly changed the landscape of American grocery shopping (I would argue, mostly for the better). Is it really such a shock that he's ambitious and a little crazy?

Anyway, I had told the customer service person that the transaction in question had taken place on a Tuesday. They went through all their receipts from Tuesday and didn't find any cashier's drawer that was over $40, or over at all.

But it wasn't a Tuesday, it was a Monday. I remembered that the super-gregarious cashier had asked me, "Did you do anything fun over the weekend?" which would be an odd Tuesday question. So it had been 3 days until I noticed that I never got the cash. I called back and asked them to look through their Monday receipts. They did, and they found it!

I drove over to the store and they handed me 40 bucks. I had given up on recovering it, so it was like a bonus. Like visiting your grandmother and she passes you a five when she kisses you goodbye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love a happy ending!