Thursday, July 19, 2007

Ouch.

Tuesday evening I went to Whole Foods and bought one red onion, a bunch of cilantro, a 6-pack of Real Ale, and a small container of kalamata olives. The total was about $20. I used my debit card to pay, and I asked for $40 cash back. I don't often do cash back, but I was completely out of cash.

The cashier was very friendly, in fact I wondered if she wasn't pushing it a little hard -- "Did you do anything fun over the weekend?" After the transaction was complete, she noticed that I had brought my own bags; it was too late to deduct my bag refund, and she apologized for that.

Last night, when I took out my wallet to pay for my beer at the bar, I realized I didn't have any cash. The cashier at Whole Foods had not given me the $40. Or the receipt.

I went to the customer service desk at Whole Foods today and told them what happened. I guessed it was a long shot, especially after two days, but I thought maybe the cashier, when her drawer came up $40 over, would have put it aside, she would have told someone.

It didn't happen. $20 for one red onion, a bunch of cilantro, a 6-pack of Real Ale, and a small container of kalamata olives hurts. $60 hurts a lot.

No comments: