Sunday, June 27, 2010

In Other News of Disappointment.

One of the last classes I took at UT was a seminar course in children’s literature and the history of American childhood. The professor was brilliant and fun. It was hard, but it was one of the best classes I took.

I wrote a paper about Maurice Sendak’s book, Where the Wild Things Are, discussing it as a coming out fable for homosexual boys. It was a short paper, but I think it was some of my best academic writing. My argument was original and strong, and I think the writing was fresh and engaging.

I reworked it a bit and submitted it to a couple magazines, got bites from 2 of them, and a commitment from a New York gay literary and arts quarterly to publish it in their summer issue. It was supposed to come out this month, but the journal and its publisher seem to have disappeared. He doesn’t answer any of my emails and his website has not been updated since late last winter.

This is particularly annoying because another publication was interested in the article and I turned it down.

No comments: